Answers to Your Most Common Leasing Questions
Scott Brown Properties always strives to make sure residents understand exactly what to expect when applying for and leasing a residential property.
Typically, applying for and moving into your new residence is the most expensive part of living in a rental property. These are the costs residents are expected to pay related to applying and moving into one of our properties:
- Application Fee: Our application fee is $45, and it can be paid with a credit or debit card or money order only.
- Security Deposit: The security deposit is equal to one month’s rent, and it is subject to refund at the end of your lease. Your deposit can be paid with a credit or debit card or money order only.
- First Month’s Rent: Your first month of rent must be paid upfront. You can pay this online with a credit or debit card, or you can pay it in person with a money order or personal check.
- Pet Fee: The pet fee for all properties that allow pets is $400 per pet. This fee is subject to refund at the end of your lease.
When evaluating applications, we take a few different factors into consideration.
- Credit Score: Your credit score gives us an idea of how reliable you will be in paying rent, fees and deposits on time. As such, we will reject applicants who have a poor credit score. Medical bills, however, will not be taken into account. If you do not have a good credit score, you may submit a guarantor application. You may also be required to pay an additional deposit.
- Criminal History: Applicants who have been charged, detained or arrested for any type of felony involving a sex crime, assault or weapons charge that was resolved by conviction, probation, deferred adjudication or court ordered supervisions pre-trial diversion will not be accepted. Applicants with a felony history that pertains to possession and/or possession with attempt to distribute drugs will not be accepted. Applicants with a misdemeanor history, however, will be considered.
- Rent History: In order to be considered, applicants must have a verifiable rental history and must not be in default or arrears. Scott Brown Properties will not approve applicants who have been evicted within the last 36 months. If an applicant owes a balance to any former landlord, they will not be considered until the balance is paid in full.
- Employment Verification: Each applicant must provide proof of income to ensure they make 2.5 times the monthly rent in gross income. Additionally, we require a valid state ID and Social Security card. We will accept a valid Visa and Passport from applicants who are new to the country.
Cosigners and Guarantors
If you do not have a credit score considered to be in good standing or you do not make 2.5 times your monthly rent, you will require a lease guarantor. All guarantors will be required to complete the credit check and provide proof of income.
Our standard lease term is 12 months. Lease terms may vary, however, especially in rental homes and apartment communities.
When you move out, you will be required to submit a notice to vacate 90 days in advance. Make sure to include a forwarding address so your security deposit can be refunded to you. Within 30 days, we will process your security deposit refund. See your lease contract for more specific details regarding reimbursement of your security deposit.
Pets are welcome in most, but not all of our properties. In our apartment communities, the pet weight limit is 20 pounds. Certain apartment communities will have breed restrictions as well. Many of our rental homes, however, do not have pet weight limits or breed restrictions. No matter the property, all pets require a $400 refundable pet deposit per pet. Make sure to ask your leasing agent about the pet policy at the property you intend to rent.
Please select a valid form
Contact Scott Brown Properties
If you have any questions about the application process, leasing, moving in or moving out, contact one of our leasing agents.
1400 Dallas Drive Denton, TX 76205
Monday – Friday
9:00 am – 5:30 pm
Phone: (940) 243-7368
Fax: (940) 483-8329